Getting a Driving Licence in the UK

Information on driving permits in Great Britain: details on applying for a learner's licence and registering for a driving test in England, Scotland and Wales...

To drive legally in the UK, a driver must be the minimum age of 17 years, hold the appropriate driving licence for the vehicle and meet the legal eyesight standards.

Visitors of 17 years and older, with a valid permit issued elsewhere in the world, may drive in the UK for up to 12 months. After 12 months, some foreign licences remain valid for use in the UK for a limited period; some may be exchanged for a UK licence; some cease to be valid and a full driving test must be taken, for a British licence to be issued.

Types of Driving Licences

The minimum age for driving a car is 17 years. For mopeds it is 16 and for motorcycles, depending on the power of the bike, it may be from 17 to 21 years.

There are two types of licence:

  1. Provisional
  2. Full

Provisional licences are for drivers who:

  • Have never had a full licence
  • Are not able to show they are entitled to a full driving licence

There are certain restrictions for holders of a provisional licence, both for car and motorcycle drivers:

  • Car drivers must be accompanied by a front-seat passenger seat who is over 21 and has had a full driving licence for at least three years
  • Motorcyclists must not drive a motorbike that is above 125cc, in Northern Ireland, or a motorbike that is above 14.6bhp.
  • In England, Wales and Scotland, a motorcyclist must not drive a motorbike on a public road unless they are taking a compulsory basic training course
  • Motorcyclists must not carry a passenger on the motorbike
  • L-plates (D-plates in Wales) must be displayed on the front and back of the vehicle

A full licence is issued to a driver that has passed a driving test in the UK, within the previous two years.

How to get a Driving Licence in Great Britain

In order to qualify for a driving licence for a vehicle or motorbike, candidates must pass both a theoretical and practical test.

Enrolment at a driving school is not mandatory, although learner drivers must be accompanied by a driver aged at least 21, and with a minimum of three years' driving experience.

Learner plates 'L' plates ('D' plates in Wales) must be fixed to the front and back of the car.

Driving instructors must be registered and approved by the Driving Standards Agency before they can charge a fee for lessons.

Legal obligations of drivers

Third party insurance is obligatory in the UK. In addition to the minimum insurance requirements, all vehicles must be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency (DVLA), have a valid tax disc and an MOT test certificate, if applicable, before being taken on the road.

A Valid MOT test certificate is required on any vehicle that is 3 or more years old.

Medical requirements

The DVLA must be informed of any medical condition that may affect a person's ability to drive. To check if a medical condition must be reported to the DVLA: Click here

Applying for a Driving Licence

Before learning to drive a motor car, moped or motorcycle, the learner must have a provisional driving licence. This can be applied for in person by completing a D1 form at a post office, and sending it to the Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency (DVLA) or by completing the form online.

A provisional driving licence can be applied for up to three months before the applicant's 17th birthday.

  • For information on applying and the documents required: Click here
  • For information on vehicles that can be driven and the minimum age: Click here
The Driving Test

There is a fee for both the theory and practical test.

The theory test

Once the provisional driving licence has been received, the learner driver may take their theory test. The theory test must be successfully passed before the practical test can be booked. The theory exam includes multiple choice questions and a hazard perception test. To prepare for the test, candidates need to study the Highway Code.

  • To find the nearest theory test centre: Click here
  • For information on the theory test and what it involves: Click here
  • Sample theory tests are provided online: Click here

Facilities are available for people whose first language is not English, either by voiceover or a translator. Other options are available for people with specific needs, for example reading or hearing difficulties.

The practical test

The test starts with an eyesight check, then a test of knowledge of The Highway Code and then a test to check the ability to drive safely. If the eyesight test is failed, the exam may not be continued. If the eyesight check is passed, the rest of the exam continues and lasts approximately 40 minutes.

  • For comprehensive information on the driving test: Click here

The candidate needs to take the following to the practical test:

  • Insured and licensed vehicle with L plates
  • Theory test certificate
  • Copy of the appointment letter, or e-mail confirmation for the test date
  • Provisional driving licence (and photographic ID if the licence is a paper version)

The examiner notifies the candidate immediately after the test if they have passed or failed. If they have passed, they can choose to have their driving licence issued automatically. The examiner scans the provisional driving licence, and sends the information through electronically to the DVLA. A pass certificate is given as proof, until the new driving licence is sent by the DVLA (usually within four weeks).

If the candidate fails the test, the examiner provides some feedback. Another test may be taken, no sooner than ten working days, after the previous test.

Independent driving

Since October 2010, the practical driving test includes a section on independent driving, which involves driving following directions and traffic signs for approximately ten minutes. This part of the exam is to test a person's ability to make independent decisions when driving.

Pass Plus

Mainly for new drivers, the Pass Plus scheme is a six-part course, which allows drivers to qualify for a car insurance discount. The course must be completed with an Approved Driving Instructor; it prepares a driver for all driving conditions.

Driving Licence

The driving licence is issued by the DVLA in England, Wales and Scotland. In Northern Ireland driving licences are issued by the Driver and Vehicle Agency.

A driving licence is issued in two parts:

  • One section is the size of a credit card, and bears a photograph with details of the category of vehicles the holder is entitled to drive
  • The second is a paper document, setting out any valid endorsements including penalty points

Renewal and validity

In the event of a name or address change, the driving licence must be updated. This can be done online, or by post. The new licence is issued free of charge, unless the photograph needs renewing.

Photographs on driving licence must be renewed every ten years, either by post or at selected post offices. In most cases, a renewal reminder is sent by post to the licence holder.

Driving licences are valid until the holder is 70 years old. The DVLA sends a renewal form approximately 90 days before the 70th birthday. Once a licence has been renewed, it is valid for a further three years.

  • For information on updating a licence: Click here

New drivers and penalty points

A licence is revoked, if a new driver accumulates six penalty points, within two years of passing their first driving test.

  • For further information on driving disqualification: Click here
Mopeds, Scooters and Motorbikes

Mopeds and scooters drivers must be at least 16 years old; some other categories of motorbike may only be driven from age 17 and some from age 18.

To learn to drive a two-wheeler, first apply for a provisional driving licence and complete a compulsory basic training (CBT) course in order to validate it. L-plates must be attached to the bike during the learning period.

A theory and practical test must be passed to ride a moped or motorbike.

  • For information on getting a moped or motorbike licence: Click here
Replacing a Driving Licence

In the case of a lost, stolen or damaged licence, a replacement can be applied for by telephone, by post or online. If the licence is lost or stolen, the police should be informed.

  • For information on replacing a licence: Click here
Penalties and Endorsements

Penalty point endorsements are added to a licence when a driver is convicted of committing certain driving offences. A licence holder can apply to the DVLA to have the endorsements removed for a small charge.

Drivers who have been disqualified, should receive a reminder from the DVLA eight weeks before the end of the disqualification period, to apply for a new licence. If a reminder is not sent, a D1 form should be filled in and sent to the DVLA, as with all new licences.

  • DVLA
    SA99 1BT
  • For further information on penalties and disqualification: Click here
Further Information
  • Drivers' Customer Services (DCS)
    Correspondence Team
    SA6 7JL
  • Tel: 0300 790 6801, Monday to Friday from 08:00-20:30, Saturday from 08:00-17:30
  • For information on getting a driving licence in Northern Ireland see the Driver and Vehicle Agency website
  • Information on driving licences from
Do you have a suggestion to improve this page? click here...

Featured Business

KT Tape Europe Ltd

A taping solution for the treatment and prevention of common sports injuries such as ITBS, shin...


Movebox is an expat relocation service company delivering local & European relocation,...

Become Member List your Business Blog For Us

Featured Information



How to make sure you stay on the right side of the law when you're driving in the United Kingdom.



Looking for a job in the UK? Find out where to start and what to expect from the process.